Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Preparing for the Journey

This was an old post-I've moved blogs. Wanted to keep track of events though, so you are welcome to read. 


 I was only just recently accepted by the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies (term starts in Feb!), so I have been focusing on more abstract preparations than the typical tasks like applying for a visa.

Here’s what I’ve been doing: 

Keeping up on Internal Politics:
Since the Arava Institution for Environmental Studies (AIES) looks at environmental issues through a political lens, I have been working to familiarize myself with regional politics that relate to Israel and Palestine. I have taken a Politics in the Middle East class, which has given me some great framework insights, but it was not focused solely on Israeli and Palestinian politics. I’ve been reading independently (Al Jazeera and US newspapers as well to see different responses).

Some recent and significant events:

Nov. 29th : UN General Assembly votes 138 in favor to 9 not in favor (41 abstained) granting Palestine non-member observer state status; Palestine possibly able to join the International Criminal Court; US one of only 9 to vote negatively

Nov. 30th: As a response to the UN recognizing Palestine as a state (limited), Israel determined to build 3k new housing units in East Jerusalem and West Bank settlements (contested areas).

Dec. 9th: After much waiting by Palestine, the Arab League has pledged to send millions of dollars in aid to the Palestinian Authority. 

No comments:

Post a Comment