Monday, February 11, 2013

First day in Israel!



Shalom! Sami and I have met up with Gil and are staying in the Tel Aviv area before we go and begin our semester at Arava Institute for Environmental Studies
Getting to our location from Ben-Gurion airport wasn’t difficult at all.We changed our plans last minute, which worked out well. Gil asked his friend, Auri, who he has known since elementary school, if we could chill at his college dorm. Sami and I took a taxi to the dorm in Herzliya (western district of Tel Aviv). We had to get over the initial shock of the price-180 shekalim. There are roughly 4 shekalim to 1 US dollar, but the best exchange rate I’ve gotten so far is 3.4. Taking money out of an atm is different-better to take a lot out than many small withdrawals. Anyway, so the price was actually very reasonable. Also, it isn’t customary to tip the taxi drivers. On the way to the dorm, we marveled at all of the treess, green roofs, and agricultural fields. I know Israelis have astounding agricultural technology-I think I was more shocked because I’m so accustomed to snow!

The dorm is spacious and bright. Auri and his roommates outfitted it with an artist’s works that they found in the street. The paintings really help to make the place feel home-y, because the walls are white. 

Not sure what they are holding....



Hippies :)
My favorite!



Eban, a British roommate, also contributed some art. His work with the monkey reminds me so much of my freshman hallmates. I know they’d like it. Shout out to Cary, Des, Kevin, Zhi, and Jake.



Curious Vader/Darth George

Auri showed us around Herzliya, and we ran some errands. We stopped for coffee in the morning, shopped for sandals, and picked up some groceries for dinner: chicken marinated in peppers, onions, and spices with rice and bread and tahini. (Food prices here seem to level out to US prices. Meat is a bit more expensive, but veggies are ridiculously cheap. All other items, clothes and such, are much more expensive.) After we prepared the marinade, I attempted to do some reading. My eyes wouldn’t focus, so I took a 2.5 hr nap. I wasn’t feeling jet lagged until the afternoon, but by 4 pm it was unbearable. My nap was wonderful, one of those sleeps that you don’t realize you’ve passed out so completely. 


Some observations about Herzliya:
  • Much better restroom stall lock systems
  • Lots of parents taking their kids out in strollers
  • Lots of Dads taking care of small kids, very affectionate
  • So much smoking!
  • Diverse city, but social divisions apparent
  • Little English descriptions, mostly Hebrew
  • Smaller cars, impressive parallel parking
  • Drivers ignore lanes, indicators, blind spots (fun)
  • X-box universally enjoyed by college kids ;)
  • Wafts of delicious food smells
  • Gray sky
  • Many stray cats, dogs as pets
  • 70 degrees F, but everyone wears sweaters because it is “winter" 
Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I can really get a feel for the life and the city which is awesome. Love all your wall hangings. Did you actually drink coffee? Very Shocking if you did :) Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't drink coffee, but I have had a bit of tea, and some more delicious meals. Hoping to blog tomorrow. :)

      Delete
  2. Dude Cary would totally dig that wall art. I miss those guys... family dinners every Sunday next year??

    ReplyDelete