Sunday, December 7, 2014

Animal Paper Snowflakes

I was really unimpressed by some of my random shaped snowflakes,
so I decided I'd attempt a few animal snowflakes. Google images failed me,
so I penciled out a few ideas. Pretty happy with the results :)


 Bear/Panda Design:
On left, my first sketch. On right, my final sketch

I messed up and hole-punched in the wrong place. The
result was a generic bear snowflake with a pretty center.
I did not cut out anything below the jaw of the bear.

My next panda bear design-with a heart theme
below the face of the panda.

I drew in the muzzle to help me with ratios, but
you don't cut it out. I hole punched the
eye-mask of the panda to give me a starting point.


End result before unfolding







I thought this snowflake turned out creepy, so
I gave it a red background







Swan Flower:
This was my first design, which didn't work out. See below
for improved design.

This is the design I eventually went with. I reshaped the tail
so the center of the snowflake would be more interesting. 


Final product! I asked my boyfriend
what he saw in the design, and he said "flower". When I
shook my head, he paused and said, "ovaries".

*Note: It's important not to cut a length of the top
of the swan head or else the edges won't be connected,
like in this case (see top left and center). I'd suggest leaving
it connected so it's less flimsy.



Fire-breathing Dragon:
Sorry if this is difficult to see. I was using
recycled paper. Look below for clarity.
It's really important to leave some space on
the right for the fold-otherwise it will
be too flimsy. I would give the tail a sharper
point, too, to make the center crisper.

Flipped-over view.

Not really sure why two of the dragon heads don't have flames.
But this is still my favorite design. It would also be really easy
to adapt this and make a bat/batman snowflake :)



No comments:

Post a Comment