Thursday, December 11, 2014

Day 3

11.12.14. <------British style

Day 3 of teaching at a Thai govt. school
  • My class "began" and all of the students were MIA for 15 minutes. But, this is never cause for worry. This is simply Thai- time.
  • Seized the opportunity to mark myself as the "cool" teacher. Girls were jumping in the hallway, trying to hit a metal classroom sign above the door, failing. As I walked nearer, I raised an eyebrow, jumped, and hit it. It was very satisfying and all the kids cheered.
  • Students tried to toll me by writing what I resume was swear words when I prompted them for their English nicknames. Kids think they are so sneaky, so I casually emphasized I'd be checking with the Thai teacher to make sure my pronunciation was correct. They said, "No, no teacher, no need..." but I didn't budge. When I made a motion to go check, the white-out flew across the page. Low and behold, new nicknames. Honestly, I love their mischievousness. 
  • Planning for a lesson, I come across this gem:


    It's supposed to be a helpful picture to explain the meaning of a word. Guesses from my fluent, but non-native English speaking boyfriend included: pizza, bread, scroll, slate bread (?), and a bed. I don't think I would have guessed the answer, either: sleeping bag.


1 comment:

  1. Slate bread is my favorite. Maybe if the colors were different and if the drawing didn't suck... it would look like a sleeping bag.

    ReplyDelete