Thursday, December 4, 2014

Hired!

        So,  I was hired yesterday to teach English to fifth and sixth grade Thai students at a government school in Bangkok. I teach four classes a day, two at fifth grade and two at sixth. The students also learn math and science in English. These classes are taught by very capable Filipino teachers. I'm guessing that the students get at least 2 hours of English exposure every day. That said, English is their second language, so there are often mishaps and challenges.
        I start my day no later than 5:30, because I have about an hour commute if I don't take a taxi. I have to be at school by 7:00. The general area is really nice, with many restaurants, but thankfully a bit outside of the city centers. The school itself is about a 15 minute walk from the BTS, or a 2 minute motorcycle taxi ride.
        My first impressions of the school are favorable. I've decided to go by Teacher S since my first name is a bit complicated. The students have English nicknames, and some of them are a bit silly. I'll post later on that. Lunch is provided for about 200 baht/month (roughly 8 USD), and the food is delicious. My teaching day ends at 16:30, and I'm home by around 17:30.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment